SCM

Forum: support

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Problem with \extype{string} and BlacKboard Ultra [ Reply ]
By: Amelia Garcia Luengo on 2023-07-11 20:51
[forum:49727]

Doc1.docx (9) downloads
Hi Niels,

I can't export the set of random block elements I created by hand.
Ultra does not have that option. The only thing you can do is copy it to another course. I have checked, that is I have copied it to another course and you see all the fill in the blank questions.

I attach an image.

Best,
Amelia

By: Niels Smits on 2023-07-11 06:31
[forum:49726]
Hi Amelia,

thanks for sending this solution. The exams2blackboard function makes a separate xml-file for each exercise, containing the n replications. Apparently, Ultra does not like that. Could you export the random block item set that you created by hand? First try if you can upload it into the system again? If that works we could perhaps use the export to mimic the structure required for Ultra.

Best,

Niels

By: Amelia Garcia Luengo on 2023-07-10 20:51
[forum:49725]

Preg2.png (9) downloads
One way to cheat blackboard Ultra is to:

myexam <- list("function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function","function")

exams2blackboard(myexam, n=1, encoding = "utf8", eval = list(partial = T, negative = T, rule = "false"))

I have obtained 16 questions, with which I have formed a random block.

While getting another solution, this one is not bad.
Attached image

Best regards

By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-07-10 17:24
[forum:49724]
Thanks for the update. This looks indeed like an Ultra issue. Maybe you can ask your institution's IT or e-learning support for help? Possibly there may be a workaround that we can implement in R/exams but it's impossible to guess for us what this could be...

By: Amelia Garcia Luengo on 2023-07-10 17:14
[forum:49723]

Preg1.png (7) downloads
If I now put this:

%% \extype{string}
%% \exsolution{\Sexpr{fun}}
%% \exname{R functions}
%% \exstringtype{essay}

The 10 questions appear, but they are no longer fill-in-the-blank questions, but essay questions. Attached image.

By: Amelia Garcia Luengo on 2023-07-10 17:00
[forum:49722]

Preg.png (7) downloads
Thank you for all the comments.

I have generated 10 questions with:

exams2blackboard("function", n=10, encoding = "utf8", eval = list(partial = T, negative = T, rule = "false"))

When importing blackboard.zip to blackboard Ultra, it looks like there are 10 questions, but only one appears. Attached image.

It must be an Ultra issue.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-07-10 16:23
[forum:49721]
Thanks for the discussion so far. To make sure that it is really the number of items that poses the problem, please try to include a static (i.e., identical) item multiple times. For example an adaptation of the function.Rnw exercise:

-----
\begin{question}
What is the name of the R function for least-squares regression?
\end{question}

\exname{Least-squares function}
\extype{string}
\exsolution{lm}
-----

If you include that in, say, leastsquares.Rnw and then you try

exams2blackboard(leastsquares.Rnw, n = ...)

with different values of n, can you replicate the problems you observed initially? If yes, then it is almost surely an Ultra issue. If no, then it might be something about the random variations in your exercise.

By: Niels Smits on 2023-07-10 14:33
[forum:49720]
So you have a collection of 10 items, and using string items without the exstringtype statement it only shows 1 or 2 items in the item bank. And when adding exstringtype{essay} you see all items, but they do not get evaluated?

When I compare the two xml files of these questions, I see the following:

* bbmd_questiontype is "Fill in the Blank" for the question without exstringtype and "Short Response" for the one with the exstringtype.
* For the fib the evaluation type is set to "CONTAINS" whereas for the essay question a SCORE variable is defined.
* All other stuff overlaps between both types of questions and looks okay.

I guess it is yet another Ultra issue. Since Achim nor I have access to some Blackboard Ultra account we can only speculate about the origin of this issue. Perhaps your institution might give us some kind of testing account?

Best

Niels

By: Amelia Garcia Luengo on 2023-07-10 13:29
[forum:49719]
Hi Niels,

I am not trying to combine
multiple subquestions into one main question. I have sent two examples "Descrip3Dos1" and "BoxDatosSimetriaPP", with which the situation I have described occurs.

"InterConfPregMej" is a dummy file, which has nothing to do. We forget about this file.

By: Niels Smits on 2023-07-10 13:02
[forum:49718]
Hi Amelia,

For my understanding: "InterConfPregMej" is an exam consisting of "Descrip3Dos1" and "BoxDatosSimetriaPP"?
I don not fully understand your setup, but perhaps you are trying to combine multiple subquestions into one main question? Blackboard does not allow for cloze questions...

Niels

By: Amelia Garcia Luengo on 2023-07-10 12:53
[forum:49717]

Descrip3Dos1.Rnw (6) downloads
Another file.

By: Amelia Garcia Luengo on 2023-07-10 12:51
[forum:49716]

BoxDatosSimetriaPP.Rnw (4) downloads
Thank you

I attach the file, which has another name. I will attach another one next.

Amelia

By: Niels Smits on 2023-07-10 12:41
[forum:49715]
Hi Amelia,

Could you attach the InterConfPregMej-file so that we can see the content of the exercise?

Groet,

Niels

Problem with \extype{string} and BlacKboard Ultra [ Reply ]
By: Amelia Garcia Luengo on 2023-07-10 12:26
[forum:49714]
When you generate a fill-in-the-blank test,

exams2blackboard("InterConfPregMej", n=10, encoding = "utf8", eval = list(partial = T, negative = T, rule = "false"))

and import it into BlacKboard Ultra, it only lets you see one or two questions. If you generate only one question, there is no problem.

If I add %%%exstringtype{essay} in the meta-information, you see all the questions, but they are no longer fill-in-the-blank questions, but essay questions, so they are not automatically corrected.

Any solution for this problem?

Thanks

Thanks to:
Vienna University of Economics and Business Powered By FusionForge