SCM

Forum: support

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: exams2moodle - [Error in mathematical expression] [ Reply ]
By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-06-30 23:17
[forum:49699]
Did you try using MathML instead of MathJax? In earlier years this was a problem because only Firefox and Safari had native support for MathML (i.e., without needing plugins). But this year Chrome/Chromium also gained MathML support (again). So possibly using exams2moodle(..., converter = "pandoc-mathml") might be a useful workaround?

By: Sigbert Klinke on 2023-06-30 11:09
[forum:49698]

chromium.jpg (6) downloads
Hi,

we had a meeting at the PC pool and there is only Firefox installed which showed the error.
From my own trials I can say that I had no problems with a recent version of chrome, but the same problem appears with Chromium. It might be problem with fonts, as the JS Console for Chromium shows (it did not appear under Chrome, but the fonts are taken from another location). But I do not know for sure.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-05-27 08:37
[forum:49676]
Thanks for the info, Sigbert. Could you find out whether it was a configuration that your Moodle team changed in their installation - or is it an upstream problem that appeared in a new Moodle version?

I'm asking because in the former case there is nothing more to do. In the latter case I could try to inform other exams2moodle users.

Thanks!

By: Sigbert Klinke on 2023-05-27 07:12
[forum:49675]
The error was confirmed by other people, which do not use exams at all. They have reported to our Moodle team the same problem. So it has something to do with the Moodle version or the Moodle configuration.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-05-16 10:01
[forum:49668]
To me this sounds like the MathJax configuration on your Moodle server changed. The question is just whether your IT team made the change or whether this is part of a new Moodle release. Maybe you can try to find out what changed and who made the change?

If this is a change that might affect other Moodle setups as well, then we would have to address this in exams2moodle().

By: Sigbert Klinke on 2023-05-16 09:37
[forum:49667]
Hi,

* Firefox and Chrome in Linux and Windows show the same behaviour.
* I use the defaults of exams2moodle: ret <- exams2moodle(exerlist, n=1, ns=1, name=name, verbose=TRUE)
* The formulas are coded in LaTeX style, e.g. Geben Sie das arithmetische Mittel des Alters ($X$) an.
* I meant the Mathjax filter in Moodle.

I created a test course in our e-exams Moodle such that students can get familiar with the environment during the Covid 19 pandemic. The test course shows the same problems now, but did not do this during creation time.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-05-16 07:36
[forum:49666]
Do you get the same behavior in Chrome?

And how are the formulas embedded in HTML, via the default converter = "pandoc-mathjax"? Or in MathML?

And when you say that you "use the Mathjax filter", what exactly do you mean with that? Do you mean the converter=... argument in exams2moodle() or a setting within Moodle?

exams2moodle - [Error in mathematical expression] [ Reply ]
By: Sigbert Klinke on 2023-05-16 07:06
[forum:49665]

firefox.png (13) downloads
Hi,

if I load my exercises into Moodle and use the Mathjax filter then, after approx. 20 seconds, all my formulas are replaced by [Fehler im mathematischen Ausdruck] (engl. [Error in mathematical expression]). Did someone has seen this behaviour already?

Sigbert

Thanks to:
Vienna University of Economics and Business Powered By FusionForge